Monday, May 4, 2009

Athletes in 21st century sports: MVP LeBron James

This might be the most bias post I have written or will write being that I am from Cleveland and a huge LeBron James fan. In chapter 20 Rader talks about whether athletes today are heroes or just merely celebrities. I think LeBron James is both. I think almost everybody sees LeBron as a celebrity. His face is everywhere. Right now he is probably the face of not only the Cleveland Cavaliers, but the entire NBA. He has more endorsement deals than I have fingers and toes. You almost can't go a day with out seeing or hearing about LeBron James. Not everybody can think of him as a hero though because not everybody likes him. A lot of people dislike him, like sportswriter Skip Bayless. No matter what LeBron accomplishes Skip always find a way to talk it down to less than it is and criticize LeBron. However, many people may see LeBron as a hero. I think this is especially true with people from Cleveland. I definitely think LeBron is a hero.

What LeBron has done for the city of Cleveland is more than any mayor of the city by themself can do. I think LeBron has kept the city from burning to the ground. Figuratively speaking of course. If it wasn't for LeBron, Clevelanders really wouldn't really have much going for themselves at all. The economy is bad around the nation but exceptionally bad in Cleveland. We are one of the poorest cities in American with one of the highest crime rates and people are abandoning the city. After Hurricane Katrina Cleveland had the second highest desertion rate for any city in the U.S. behind New Orleans. LeBron gives people of Cleveland hope. Maybe all we need to lift our spirits is a championship. We have waited long enough, 45 years. LeBron may be just the person to do it for us. With his MVP award being announced today I feel that we get one step closer everyday. To me, LeBron is a hero in a city that needs one more than any city. He has so much power. He alone can bring a whole city together and give the people hope. However, even if he brings Cleveland a championship, if he ever leaves when his contract is up, the city may crumble. This is a fate I hope I never see. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

James has brought so much life to Cleveland. He has finally won the MVP award and is closer than ever to winning a championship. I believe this is the year that defines who Lebron is.

The Tennis Prof Chronicles said...

I would just like to echo your sentiments about Lebron. I hope he does not leave Cleveland, even if he would have more visibility in New York.