These are the really early days though before games even got very competitive. What really struck me however, was that even as the game progressed into a more competitive era, for a while an out could be recorded by throwing the ball at the runner. I found that funny because when I used to play stickball when I was younger we would use a tennis ball and outs could be recorded by throwing and hitting the runner with the ball. I always wondered how that came to be. As weird and interesting as some of the rules of the game were then, I am very glad where they are and have been for generations now. Baseball seems to be a game where the rules have changed the least over the course of the years. Almost every year there seems to be a rule change in professional football. I think that baseball has very sold roots and the rules for the game that were established so long ago are still perfect for today's game.
Monday, February 9, 2009
The Origins of Baseball
I found Thursday's class to be especially interesting because I am so interested in the sport of baseball. I really enjoy finding out and discovering new things about something I already know a lot about. The origins of baseball have always been kind of a hazy area for me - especially the early rules. Though a lot of the rules are the same, some I thought were kind of strange or funny. First of all, there were no called strikes, you had to swing and miss three times in order to be called out. I am very glad that this isn't the rule today because I don't see a lot of players at any level swinging and missing completely three times. Either the pitchers were very good in this era, or the games were very long with more hits and most outs came via a batted ball. I guess the point wasn't really to strike anybody out in that era but to let them hit the ball though seeing as that the pitcher was obligated to toss the ball gently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is pretty amazing to think about how stable the rules have been in baseball for the most part. Of course there have been things like the addition of the Designated Hitter in the American League, and minor changes in the height of the mound or the strike zone. As for not calling strikes, I wonder if that was because of the similarity of early baseball to cricket. In cricket, there is no such thing as a ball. Players try to hit every ball whether it comes right at them or is further away from them. Of course, the "bowler," as the pitcher is called, is not really trying to pitch to the batter, but is really trying to knock the wicket off to make an out. So I guess calling balls and strikes was one way that baseball became distinguished from cricket.
Post a Comment