Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sports Commentators

I believe that as a fan the commentator of a game has a lot to do with how much I can enjoy a game. Sometimes if I feel the announcer is biased either way towards either team I can't even stand to watch the game. I really can't stand a bad in-game commentator. Sometimes I even mute the game on TV and find a local radio station that is broadcasting the game. It is very important to me and I'm sure a lot of fans to have an unbiased intelligent announcer. 

Some of the most important and biggest plays in sports history have some of the most memorable quotes from the commentators. It seems that every big sports moment is paired up with a commentator. The best commentators are those that know what they are talking about, are unbiased and are dramatic. Being dramatic as a commentator makes it seem that the game is as important to them as it is to the fans. That is important in a commentator.

In some instances I think it is okay to be biased as an announcer. If the announcer calls games only for a certain station and team then it is okay. I think Michael Reghi was a great caller of games for the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was very enthusiastic about the Cavs and people felt like he was a fan calling the games. He was famous in Cleveland for his intense and dramatic calls of plays. I think it was wrong that he was fired and was replaced by the Detroit Pistons announcer Fred McLeod. Cleveland needed a Cleveland guy like Reghi calling the game, not the enemies former announcer. 

With all things said, I think it is very important who the commentator is in enjoying a game.

2 comments:

The Tennis Prof Chronicles said...

I know what you mean about feeling that it is impossible to watch a game if the commentator is biased. This weekend, there was a pre-season baseball game between Cleveland and Colorado on MLB Network, and the announcers must have been from Colorado. They rarely indicated who was at bat (a necessity during spring training), and they talked as if everyone who was listening had to be a Rockies fan. I kept watching only because there has been so little coverage of spring training. Overall, I could not agree with you more on this post!

Brandon Carlo said...

I agree totally with all of your statements. Reghi was a great announcer and I was very upset when he was let go. And something I touched on in my blog was it seems the national announcers at least the ones on TNT are always fighting and bickering with one another to get more air time or something like that. It is extremely annoying and if FSO is playing the game I would much rather listen to Austin Carr and even yes Fred McLeod do play by play because they have a good partnership and do not fight one another to see who can talk the most on TV. Even better when back home if you do not have access to a TV, is listening to long time radio announcer of the Cavs Joe Tait do his play by play. Maybe the comentators on the bigger networks think they are big shots like Reggie Miller and Jeff VanGundy but maybe they can watch some local Cavs telecasts and learn how to comentate correctly.