Thursday, April 30, 2009

Women's sports being overshadowed

It seems that women's sports are overlooked ad accomplishments by women's teams sometimes go unrecognized whereas there male counterparts are much more glorified in their success than they are. The example I want to look at is this year's Connecticut Lady Huskies and their more than impressive 39-0 championship season. However, the women's national championship game that pitted the Huskies against the Louisville Cardinal couldn't even be seen on national television. They put it on ESPN, which is actually a step up when most of the tournament coverage was seen only on ESPN2. 
I would find this as an insult as anybody who follows UConn or women's college basketball. For a team to go 39-o, which is the best record any collegiate team has ever accomplished, and get very little recognition for it is absurd. Say the same school, UConn, and their men's basketball team went 39-0, you wouldn't stop hearing about it and they would be mentioned as one of the greatest teams of all time. By the way, the Lady Huskies beat every opponent they faced by 10 or more points all season. These accomplishments should not go overlooked. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. The Huskies had one of the greatest seasons in Women's basketball. I believe it is an insult to them because they work just as hard as men do but barely got recognized.

akarr said...

It is just unfortunate. If I were a student at UCONN I would be very disappointed that my team didn't get as much recognition as they deserved. The same is true and can be said for smaller college football programs achieving a lot of success. I would be very upset if a team from Bowling Green, say a women's team or the basketball team had a lot of success but weren't recognize as being a great story or program. It's really not fair.

The Tennis Prof Chronicles said...

I agree with you that these accomplishments should not go overlooked. On one hand, having ESPN televise the championships is a good thing, because they give quality coverage. The drawback is of course that the coverage is limited to those who have cable. It may be awhile until women's basketball receives wider coverage, depending on how long the contract with ESPN extends.